The Reminiscence Activities Training Manual:
A Step by Step Guide - By Bernie Arigho
This Training Manual is aimed primarily at care staff and activity organisers in care homes, although it will also be of interest to all health and social care workers, and all those wanting to learn more about reminiscence work.
It presents a comprehensive framework and a step-by-step guide to the work, together with hundreds of practical ideas, enabling reminiscence activities to be provided in a safe and stimulating way.
The Guide contains:
- An outline of principles of good practice in reminiscence work
- Guidance in setting up and sustaining reminiscence groups
- The links between reminiscence and various creative activities
- The special contribution of reminiscence to dementia care
- Special features on oral history, work with ethnic minority elders, and intergenerational reminiscence.
- Descriptions of reminiscence activities
- Exercises to reinforce learning
- Learning outcomes for practitioners to monitor progress
- Line drawings that illustrate the sociable and creative nature of the process
- An extra chapter on using the Daily and Weekly Sparkle in reminiscence activities
This approach to reminiscence work is grounded in person-centred principles of good practice that respect the personal choices, interests and abilities of the participants throughout the whole process.
About the author
Having been a specialist in the nursing care of older people, Bernie Arigho earned an M.Sc. in Gerontology with a dissertation on reminiscence. He then worked for 19 years with the charity Age Exchange, delivering their reminiscence training programme, fundraising, managing outreach projects, and co-directing the organisation from 2005 to 2009. He has contributed many articles and chapters to health and social care journals and textbooks on the subject of reminiscence, and taught on courses of higher education. He is now a freelance reminiscence consultant, offering reminiscence training workshops, reminiscence group sessions and individual reminiscence work.
Contact Bernie here
The book is available from Amazon here