Pinterest is one of the best ways to source ideas for craft activities, or for planning sessions with a seasonal or celebratory theme.
Anyone can join Pinterest – it’s free and simple to use. Essentially it’s a gigantic scrapbook of great ideas where you can search by theme, activity or keywords, and create moodboards of ideas for different activities.
For instance, if you wanted to create some ideas for a Wimbledon party, you could search for ‘tennis table decorations’, ‘Wimbledon crafts’, ‘tennis cup cakes’ and more, putting all your ideas together in one place.
The Daily Sparkle is on Pinterest and we update our pages regularly to share hundreds of brilliant crafting and seasonal ideas for you. Find us here.
PINTEREST – HOW TO
- Go to Pinterest and create an account.
- When you sign up, you’ll have the option to link it to your Facebook account (which is a good idea if you network with other activity coordinators using Facebook).
- Create a profile by choosing a username, and writing a short intro about who you are or what you do, just a few words will do. You can also add a photo or picture.
- Search for friends/groups that you also follow on Facebook, know personally or have met through work. You will be able to see what they’ve saved too and if they have similar interests to you.
- Start by making a Board by clicking the Add ‘+’ button above your name on your Pinterest page. Name it with a theme you’re interested in, for instance, ‘Tennis’, ‘Retro Baking’, ‘Garden Party Ideas’ or ‘Halloween Crafts’ – you can see the kinds of boards we have on our page here.
- Using the Search bar at the top of the page, just type whatever you are looking for and wait for the results.
- Hover over a picture you like, and the option to ‘Save’ will appear at the top, with a suggestion of which board to save it to. You can just click ‘Save’ or use the drop down arrow to pick a different board.
Top Tips for Pinterest
- Install the ‘Pin It’ Button: The easiest way to add content to your boards from anywhere on the internet is to add the ‘Pin It’ button to your web browser. Click the ‘+’ sign at the bottom right of the page on Pinterest to learn how to install it. You can also add pins via the ‘Pin It’ button on your favourite sites – just look for the Pinterest logo next to whatever you are viewing. It will usually be close to the Facebook and Twitter share buttons.
- Use the Categories List: Click on the three horizontal lines on the right of the search bar – this opens up the categories list, where you can click on whatever category you want to search for. A quick and easy way to get started.
- Follow Boards: Search for people, companies, friends and colleagues whose boards might also have interesting content, so you don’t miss any great ideas.